Sunday, October 4, 2009

Live Music in NYC

Over the past year I was lucky to have seen many fun shows in New York, a city filled with great venues for live shows. I love checking out up and coming, no name (yet) bands at small spaces on the Lower East Side like Mercury Lounge, Arlene's Grocery, or Pianos. Or intimate but spacious local venues like Williamsburg Hall of Music, Bowery Ballroom or Highline Ballroom (one of my new favorite spaces). Once in a while, I don't mind a big name show at the club like surroundings of Terminal 5, Webster Hall, Irving Plaza, Roseland or Hammerstein Ballroom. But I try to avoid the big stadium shows at places like Madison Square Garden (unless we're talking front row seats for free or it's a band I really want to see). As I sorted through my iPhoto files recently, I realized that I actually saw some pretty cool shows in the past year. Here are some of the highlights.

Phoenix at Rumsey Playfield


Lupe Fiasco at SOBs

Lady Sovereign at Highline Ballroom


Franz Ferdinand at Roseland


Vampire Weekend at Terminal 5


Gym Class Heros at Roseland


Estelle at Roseland


Weezer at Madison Square Garden

Britney Spears


Pussycat Dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment