Sunday, August 9, 2009

When the Soundtrack Makes the Movie

When I heard John Hughes passed away recently, I felt a wave of nostalgia for my youth and watched some of his masterpieces for the first time in a long time. For many people who came of age in the 80's, movies like Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Some Kind of Wonderful set the tone for how high school either was or should have been. One thing I noticed while I indulged in my John Hughes marathon this past week is the killer soundtrack on all his movies. Even for non-Brat Pack films like Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Home Alone, the soundtrack added so much to the movie itself and in some cases became as much of a classic as the film.

Pretty in Pink was definitely a stand out for me. The sound track includes The Smiths (Please, Please Please Let Me Get What I Want), Echo and the Bunnymen (Bring on the Dancing Horses), The Jesus and Mary Chain (The Hardest Walk) and of course the title song from The Psychedelic Furs. Here are some non-John Hughes movies whose soundtracks really made a difference in my book (not in any particular order).

1. 50 First Dates
3. About a Boy
4. Down With Love
5. Juno
6. 500 Days of Summer
7. Garden State
8. Bend It Like Beckham
9. Slumdog Millionaire
10. Not Another Teen Movie
11. Stand By Me
12. St. Elmo's Fire
13. Pulp Fiction
14. Amelie
15. Life is Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment